Summer means a lot of different things to people, like "wedding season" or grilling season (with the veggie kind of summer meals: corn on the cob)! This week we're combining the two, and bringing one of our favorite (and S U P E R easy!) recipes from the book The Newlywed Cookbook (which also makes THEE best wedding gift: buy it here)!
What you'll need..
- 6 ears of corn
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 4 cups water
- Ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small summer squash, diced (my grocer was out of summer squash, so I substituted with half of a large butternut squash)
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 medium beefsteak tomatoes, diced
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half/half cream
- Handful of fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh chervil leaves, snipped chives, or chopped dill
- First, you're supposed to grab a big, shallow pan (I used a big pot, because I'm a rebel like that.. and it worked just great!). With a serrated edge knife, cut the corn off of the cobs and into the pan. Don't chuck the cobs! Lay them on top of the corn in the pot. Add your water and salt to the pan so it's all combined, and boil the corny cobby mixture. Then let it simmer.
- In another pan (a frying pan..), add the oil and the squash. Cook the squash until you can easily cut it with a fork or knife. Once it's soft, remove and set aside on a plate. Next, add in your onions and cook them until they're lightly brown and soft. Set these aside, too (the onion can share a plate with the squash- they get along famously).
- Season your diced tomatoes with salt and pepper, drizzle with a little bit of oil, and also set aside (tomato doesn't run with the same crowd as squash and onion, so keep these folks separated).
- Going back to the corn pot, remove the cobs and throw 'em away. Add in the half-and-half/half cream, onion and squash to the pan. Season with salt and pepper (or, let people do that to your own soup).
- Pour the soup into bowls, and add tomatoes to the center of the soup and scatter the basil on top (because it's prettier that way :) ). VOILA! Super duper easy.
Looking for some more perfect wedding gifts for this summer? Head over to kittsona.com and check out some of these unique presents! There's something for every couple :)
Happy cooking! XOXO, Kittsona